Sunday, July 5, 2009

3 weeks out

It's been a while, but I plan to update this blog regularly now. Between getting on facebook, keeping my strengthmill journal up to speed, training, living, etc, I think I have my schedule running a bit better than I did when I started the blog. I'll do better.

At the Richmond Open in April, I competed raw in the 90 kb/198 lb class and totatled 1223 lbs. This was comprised of a squat of 441 (new MD state record for 198 lb men's open, raw), bench of 275 (ugh!), and deadlift of 507 (raw PR). I weighed 191 lbs, and went 7/9, missing my last bench outright, and my last deadlift (530) due to a slight wobble on the bar at lockout. That would have given me the state record for raw total as well. Oh well...

I'm 20 days away from my first National level meet. It's USA Powerlifting Raw Nationals. Since expectations are low in terms of placing, I'm actually less nervous than I have been for my previous 3 competitions. My goals are to beat the guy who challenged my to enter (former squat record holder and current bench/total record holder). Also, and more importantly, I want to get my total as close to 1300 as possible. That was my total at the 2008 MD state championships, where I took 1st place in the 198s at a bodyweight of 190. I wore a squat suit for squat and deadlift, and benched raw. If I can get close to, or match that total in a raw meet, then I'm confident that when I put the gear back on this year, my total should be significantly higher than last year's. Not to mention that I'll have about 4 more months to train.

For right now, I'm focused on Charlottesville, VA, and having a good meet, and having a good time. I'll keep you posted as I wrap up my training cycle before the meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment